Dry patch on maxillary gingiva, noticeable during cold weather. What could be causing this?

Hi, I am a dental assistant. I have recently noticed a small dry patch on the maxillary gingiva near my centrals to my canine tooth (rt side). I notice it more after sleeping and when the weather is colder. Wasn t sure if the dry, cold air has anything to do with it? Doesn t hurt or anything but also just found out that my Vitamin D 2 level was extremely low at 14. Not sure what could be causing it (medications), smoking , or any of the above mentioned possibilities. It basically feels like I have rubbed the little small dots (forgot the proper term) on the sulcus until they are dry now and more visible. Thanks in advance. S. McDevitt, CDA/RDA
Asked On : Wed, 9 Jan 2013