Done surgery for broken spine. How long is the recuperation?

my husband just had a broken spine while lifting 490 lbs as he was trying to put the weights back to the rack the rack collapsed n the weights landed in his back causing him to go into back surgery to put back his spine together (this is my understanding at this point) this just happened yesterday..what are the downside after his surgery? will he b able to do the normal things he used to do? how long is the recuperation? right now all i know i was told he s gonna need alot of physical therapy .
Asked On : Wed, 16 Jan 2013