Done CT scan and X-ray while pregnant. Could fetus be damaged?

My partner and me recently found out that we are expecting with the first day of the last period being on the 27th of September. We are now very unsure whether something might be wrong, as my partner had a ct scan (19th of September) and an additional x-ray (28th of September) shortly before the conception . The ct scan and x ray were performed on the complete region from mid-thigh height to the chest without any covers applied, as the test was aimed to look for kidney stones . Could radiation damage affect the sperm DNA and lead to a genetic disorder in the child, even if the foetus looks normal in ultrasounds? Is there any evidence that sperm, which were damaged by the irradiation and are still able to fertilize, could lead to some genetic abnormality or the development of other diseases, i.e. childhood cancer? And if yes, what is the actual probability for this? Could any tests, such as a CVS pick up if anything is wrong due to these causes? Might the most sensible decision be not to proceed with the pregnancy, or are antenatal tests a sensible decision and which genetic conditions should be tested for? We found a private check-up service where the following genetic disorders could be tested for: 1) Down Syndrome, 2) Edwards’ Syndrome, 3) Patau Syndrome, 4) Smith-Magenis Syndrome, 5) Miller-Dieker Syndrome, 6) DiGeorge Syndrome, 7) Prader-Willi Syndrome, 8) Angelman Syndrome , 9) Wolf-Hirschhorm Syndrome, 10) Cri du Chat Syndrome, 11) Langer Giedion Syndrome, 12) Phelan-McDermid Syndrome, 13) 15q24 Deletion Syndrome, 14) 17q21.21 Microdeletion Syndrome, 15) Analysis of subtelomeric regions of all 46 chromosomes Thank you very much for your response. we are very concerned.
Asked On : Mon, 26 Nov 2012
Urologist 's  Response
Jul 2016
Thanks for your query. Your husband got his C.T scan and X ray done before you conceived .There is no evidence that radiation has any adverse effect on quality of sperms.As such life of a sperm is very short and the pregnancy that is there is due to fertilization of ovum by a sperm that may be formed weeks after the day when your husband was exposed to radiation so do not worry at all What you are thinking is your apprehension.