Dog bit on fingernail, cracked nail, purple bruise, hurts to touch. Warning signs?

recently a dog bit through my fingernail on my left hand index finger. the nail has a crack in it that runs halfway down the nail. the meat underneath the crack is mostly normal looking except for directly underneath the nail which has a slightly purplish tint similar to a bruise. i still have feeling in my finger and it only hurts if i push on it. my question is what should NORMALLY happen as the injury progresses through its healing process and how long should it take to heal. what warning signs should i look for.
Asked On : Thu, 25 Apr 2013