Does type 1 radial fracture require surgery? Discomfort in elbow and arm. Heal with braces?

does a type 1 radial fracture require surgery? here is the short story. i was playing basketball two weeks ago and i fell on my right side of my body, felt fine to keep playing but i felt a little discomfort in my elbow area on my right arm . so just kept playing a couple of games. towards the last game i felt a bit more discomfort. so just went home and iced it. next day it swelled up and bruised. ignored it for a couple of days then the pain went away. but i couldnt stretch my arm out completely just about 95%. after 10days i went to orthopedic dr. he said i had a small fracture. and i had two choices. surgery or go with this brace for 2 weeks then come back to see the progress. i really dont want surgery just because i dont want to deal with arthirtis in the future. and would prefer to heal this naturally.especially that it not major since i was doing my reg. routine while it was fractured. my question is do these type1 fractures usually heal with a brace? and if it doesnt show up as healed on the xrayy in two weeks should i keep it on longer. i dont feel a type 1 fracture requires surgery. it will eventually heal on its own
Asked On : Mon, 13 Aug 2012