Does the terrible coughs resulting in odd chest pain a matter of worry for my father who is otherwise a very fit person ?

My father who is in his early 50s in the past couple of months has been having terrible chest colds every 3 months of so. Terrible coughing. Not to the point of whooping though. He used to rarely get sick and when did, it would pass in a few days. These colds last about 1 week or more - at least the cough part. He also has been experiencing odd chest pain and tightness when talking outside in the cold at night. He s had absolutely not medical history or problems and is health as can be until these coughs have hit him. Is it something to worry about?
Asked On : Mon, 21 Mar 2011