Does the painful hard lump on the shin after an injury indicate fracture or just a bruise ?

While catching for one of the pitchers on my son’s baseball team, I got hit in my shin with the baseball. I have a bruise, which is very sore to the touch and there is a hard visible lump has been on my shin for a week. The area of the leg that got hit swelled up to the size of a baseball. Most of the swelling has gone down, but the lump is hard and sore to the touch. Also, my heel and ankle now are discolored. Could this be a fracture or just a bruise?
Asked On : Fri, 24 Jun 2011