Does soreness and red spots on the throat and the palate with fatigue indicate strep throat ?

I have a mild sore throat and some drainage from sinus . I just noticed I also have red spots kind of like pimples on the back of my throat and on the roof of my mouth. I have been feeling very tired and like I am coming down with something. Strep throat is in the community. could it be that?
Asked On : Sat, 24 Mar 2012
ENT Specialist 's  Response

Welcome to HealthcareMagic forum

Yes, it can be a Streptococcal infection; most of the oral cavity and nasal infections are caused by these organisms. The drainage from the back of the throat is from the infected sinus carrying all the bacteria into the throat. Due to this, there will be inflammation in the throat giving rise to cobblestone appearance of the pharyngeal wall, these are nothing but the hypertrophied lymphoid follicles.

I would suggest you to drink plenty of warm water, use saline nasal spray and do steam inhalation 3-4 times a day. You will also require antibiotics which will take care of both sinus infection and the throat pain.