Does sleeping help alleviate the pain after wisdom tooth extraction ?

Does sleeping make you feel better after wisdom tooth extraction?
Asked On : Fri, 10 Jun 2011
Dentist 's  Response

Thanks for asking the query,

Pain after wisdom tooth removal is common which subsides after sometimes, you have to take a course of antibiotics and analgesics to relieve pain.
Sleeping helps you keep relaxed and calm as such does not have any significant role in pain control.
You follow the post extarction instructions given by the Dentist properly and maintain a good oral hygiene.

Hope this helps out.

Regards...

Dentist Dr. Gunjan Gupta's  Response
Thanks for writing in.
I read your query, i would like to tell you that pain up to an extant after wisdom tooth removal is normal but if it is severe there is something wrong.
Now we will discuss about you point,good sleep make you relaxed and calm.
But for pain after wisdom tooth extraction only painkillers make a relief so that you can sleep with out any discomfort.
If you have pain you can not sleep.
Hope this answered your query.
Take Care
Dr.Gunjan Gupta
Dentist, Orthodontics Dr. Mrunal Meshram's  Response
HI THERE
THANK YOU FOR WRITING IN HEALTHCARE MAGIC
PAIN AFTER EXTRACTION WILL SUBSIDE ONLY AFTER ANTIBIOTICS AND PAINKILLERS AS PRESCRIBED YOUR DENTIST.
SLEEPING CAN NOT EXACTLY SUBSIDE YOUR PAIN BUT DEFINITELY IT CAN MAKE YOU RELAX AND FRESH WHICH WILL MAKE YOU FEEL BETTER.
BUT AVOID TO SLEEP ON THE SIDE OF JAW, EXTRACTION HAS BEEN DONE .IT CAN ENHANCE SWELLING.
TAKE REST
TAKE CARE
YOU CAN WRITE US BACK FOR FURTHER QUERY.
Dentist Dr. Asif Ahmed's  Response
hello ,
thanks for sharing this query ,

although wisdom tooth extraction exhibits pain,yet proper analgesic and good compliance reduces pain.therefore sleeping pills are neither recommended nor required after tooth extraction..kindly only follow only your dentist's prescription ..
take care
Dentist Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar's  Response

Sleeping or adequate rest can relieve pain post wisdom tooth extraction.

I would advice you to take complete course of antibiotics-analgesics prescribed.

Avoid anxiety and take rest.

Gargle frequently with warm saline.

Maintain oral hygiene well.

Dentist Dr. Anshumala Singh's  Response
Dear friend.

Thanks for sharing your concern.

sleeping actually makes you feel relaxed and also fresh.As the extraction process, itself is very painful and uncomfortable, therefore its nice if you get good sleep and relax for sometime.

Also pain and effect of anesthetic also plays role here.If there is more pain and discomfort you cannot relax yourself and again this adds to your tiredness.

Therefore it is good to take adequate rest post extraction.

Hope i have answered your query.

For further query please let us know.

Wish you good health.

Thanks.

Dentist Dr. Neha Sumra's  Response
Hello
Welcome to HCM
As such sleeping does not play important role after extraction. Its good to rest after extraction but you should avoid sleeping on that side where extraction was done because it will cause pressure & result in swelling.Don't do warm compression on that side.It will increase the problem.
Consult your dentist for further query.

Take Care
Dr.Neha
Dentist, Implantology Dr. Gaurav Goel's  Response
Sleeping diverts your attention from the discomfort that you have after the extarction and helps relieve the pain. but take care not to sleep on the side of the extraction and not to cover the region with cloth ,etc, that might lead to increased swelling.
hi.
Sleeping, after extraction of any tooth, wisdom or others Helps you feel better, since it reduces any PHYSICAL activity, Diverts attention from extraction, and provides psychological relief from pain. Any ways after wisdom teeth extraction, it is always advisable to refrain from any Physical activity for at least a day and take rest. The best way for this is to have a sound sleep.

Otherwise there is no direct Correlation or scientific fact behind this.
Dentist Dr. M.Karthikeyan's  Response
surely there is a correlation for ur wisdom teeth problem and disturbance in sleep get ur wisdom teeth extraction because if its infected ur sleep will be getting disturbed
Radiologist Dr. Radha Narayanan's  Response
Hi!
Welcome to healthcaremagic.com.
There is no correlation to extraction of wisdom tooth and sleep other than if the tooth is infected or implanted or diseased otherwise then you have to extract it which will inturn lead to pain relief.take care.