Does recurring swelling in salivary gland suggest Sjogrens syndrome?

I have had two ocassions that my salivary gland swelled. I believe I have Sjogrens Syndrome. I was already diagnosed with Celiac Disease about 12 years ago. I have had my thyroid removed (possibly have Hashimoto's as my son tested possitive). I have an enlarged (fatty) liver but rarely eat fast food or fried foods or red meat. Any ideas?
Asked On : Fri, 23 Jan 2015
Dentist 's  Response
Hi..
Thanks for the query..

As per your complain swelling in the salivary glands needs not be always due to Sjogren's Syndrome although you are diagnosed with other autoimmune diseases but in case if you have symptoms of dry mouth and dry eyes along with swollen salivary glands then it can be probably due to Sjogren's syndrome but a confirmation needs proper investigations like blood tests to rule out presence of antibodies along with biopsy of the glands..
If the swelling has occurred and regressed then it can be due to infection in slaivary gland or obstruction in the duct of the gland caused by any foreign body or stone formation
So my suggestion is to consult an Oral Surgeon and get evaluated and a thorough clinical evaluation and investigations will be done for confirmation..
As of now you can do cool compresses over the swelling..

Hope this helps..

Thanks and regards.