Does punching and grappling. History of arm surgery, fixed with plate and screw. Pain on working. Is it because of muscle tear?

I do mixed martial arts, which involves a lot of punching and grappling. Last year, I broke my arm and the surgeon put a plate and screws. A year later, I ve begun training again but I now experience some pain when I hit the punching bag or do some grappling moves. Is it possible that the screws/plates are rubbing against the muscle and tearing it up? Should I consider removing the hardware?
Asked On : Fri, 24 Aug 2012
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Thanks for writing your query
After going through your query the chances of screw rubbing against muscle are minimal as the screws are in flush with plate. For your satisfaction you may get an x ray done.
The plate and screws are not removed usually until and unless they create a problem and that too after a period of 18 -24 months after the surgery.
For now my advice would be take a break from exercise for few days (7-10).Take ibuprofen to reduce pain and do ice fomentation along with-
1. Gradually increase exercises preferably on weekly basis and to be followed by ice fomentation.
2. Take balanced diet rich in calcium (1000mg/day) and vitamin (1000 i.u. /day) along with vitaminB12, B6.Vitamin D is available in weekly dose pattern as well as injection, just talk to your local doctor.
Hope this information helps you.
Take care and I shall be glad to answer any further query.
Dr.mukesh chugh (