Does continued stomach ulcer lead to cancer and what treatment can be taken ?

I am a 26 year old lady and have been suffering from stomach ulcer for the past 8 years.I tried so many medication and even tried injections, i dont get better and they work for a short period.Im worried because now started to feel as if its swollen in the stomach and also feeling pains especially when I eat after swallowing food.I ve lost food appetite but i always force myself to eat to avoid hunger.Are the any chances of getting Cancer from Ulcer?Can it be cured?What treatment can i take?
Asked On : Mon, 18 Jul 2011
Hi mankoec,

Welcome to HCM.
You have not mentioned how the diagnosis of stomach ulcer was made. Only sure way of making the diagnosis is by doing a gastroscopy.
Stomach ulcer provisionally diagnosed by symptoms alone can be misleading and is totally unreliable.
You should consult a gastroenterologist who will advise gastroscopy and if ulcer is present, biopsy from the ulcer site will be taken which has to be studied under microscope to exclude malignancy.
You will also need an ultrasound study of abdomen to exclude any other pathology.
Long standing stomach ulcers may turn cancerous. Don't ignore your symptoms and don't treat on presumptions.
Wish you speedy recovery.

©2014 Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.