Does birth control shot have a negative effect on the body like heavy periods with big blood clots ?

Blood clots, pouring out for 20-30 seconds at a time, etc. Help!! Sorry they didn t really have a category for Period Problems, but anyone that can help me out, it s greatly appreciated! Alright this is kind of long but here s what s going on. Ever since I was 17 (I m now 22) I have had a REALLY irregular period. And at 17 I got the birth control shot, so I m already thinking all of this stuff is because of the side effects of that shot, but I m not sure what to do about it. After the shot, I also gained about 60 lbs. Currently, I m just barely starting to lose weight again and it seems IMPOSSIBLE to keep it off, but this is all besides the point. My periods since the shot have lasted 3-4 months at a time of HEAVY flow. But I eat a lot of veggies, so I ve never come up positive for anemia . Then my period will disappear for 2-3 months. completely which rare spotting. Well, this time it s getting worse. I now have blood pouring out and clots the size of golf balls coming out each time I go to change the tampon (which HAS to be every 1-2 hours, AND i wear a pad.) If I don t check or change it in 1-2 hours, it soaks through both the tampon AND the pad. As far as I know I ve never been pregnant and I ve been to the doctor three times in the last 4 months for these problems. All they said was that I needed to lose weight about a month ago (the last time I went) well, i ve been losing weight and eating waaaay healthier than I was before, I mean I m still not perfect about my diet , but it s definitely an improvement. I m unprotected with my husband and I haven t been on the birth control PILL since April or May of last year. Any suggestions? I don t want to waste more money going to the doctor to get checked out when all they are going to tell me is I need to lose 50lbs and tell me all my results are negative for anything serious. Oh and I also have really bad cramps this time, which I know is because of the amount of blood coming out but how do I stop this short of going back on birth control? I feel like birth control is having really negative effects on my body.
Asked On : Sat, 18 Jun 2011