Does Citalopram and trifluoperazine help cure bipolar

can Citalopram and trifluoperazine they treat bipolar
Asked On : Sun, 13 Mar 2011
Mood stabilizers are the best choice for Bipolar affective disorder. Antidepressents like citalopram may trigger drug induced manic symptoms. So better avoid it. Trifluoperazine is a typical antipsychotic that can be given only when there is psychotic symptoms too. but there are other better choices too.....
Psychiatrist Dr. Dushad Ram's  Response
Dear sir / madam

Bipolar disorder is recurrent disorder with variable period between episode. like hypertension and diabetes whatever treatment is available aimed to control the symptoms and prevents from relapse if taken in adequate dose. Trifluoperazine has been used treat acute episode and for prophylaxis but now other option (medication) are preferred due to better side effect profile. None of the medication currently available can cure bipolar disorder.
Psychiatrist Dr. Rajiv Mehta's  Response
citalopram is antidepressant and trifluperazine is anti-psychotic. we need a mood stabilizer for control of bipolar. the above two drugs can be used in certain cases but not primarily. primarily, mood stabilizers have to be used

General & Family Physician Dr. Vidya Muralidhar's  Response
Welcome to HealthcareMagic forum.

Citalopram is an antidepressant and Trifluperazine is an antipsychotic drug, they can be used to treat Bipolar disease,but make sure it is being taken only after prescribed by the doctor in the given dose only, never stop the medicines or change the dose by yourself, they may have adverse effects if you do so.