Doctor stitched the upper layer of a torn muscle. That healed up. Now, has a bulge next to the wound. Serious?

My boyfriend tore the muscle of his upper thigh when he fell on an object crossing a creek. The emergency room doctor sewed the upper layer of flesh but not the inner muscle portion. That was in mid-late November. Now it is January and it is all healed up. But now there is a painless lump bulging out about the size of a half dollar to the upper right of the wound area. It sticks out about an inch high. What could this be? Could it be serious?
Asked On : Sat, 12 Jan 2013