Do colds or allergies causes mucus formation in the eustachian tubes ? How can it be treated ?

Over the last nearly two years I ve been having symptoms of Ear fullness, crackling and mild hearing loss . Have been to see the local ENT Specialist three times who has performed a range of test ranging from Nasal Endoscopy, Tympanometry and Pure Tone Audiometry . The first visit, I was told I had Septum Deviation, blocked sinus , and Eustachian Tube Dysfunction on both sides. I was then told that I would need surgery to correct the Septum and drain the sinus, which i had agreed to. But then decided not to as was worried about the Anesthetic side effects as I was drinking quite a lot of alcohol at that time, e.g 50 Units a week at the time. The second visit, I had another Nasal Endoscopy performed, and this time round the ENT told me that my nose looked better and that my sinus was no longer blocked, which I found odd as my ears were in a worse condition than they were on the first visit. The third visit, I took my father in as I may have not explained properly due to nerves in the previous visits, this time round I was sent for a hearing test, both Tympanometry and Pure Tone Audiometry were performed by a nurse practitioner, the Pure Tone Audiometry came up with slight hearing loss in the right ear, and the Tympanometry came up as normal, going by the pictures that were printed out, there was a wave form both ears tested, which the ENT specialist later confirmed as normal. After all these results, which has had me thinking, is it possible there may be some kind of blockage from excessive mucus production due to allergies in my Eustachian Tubes, of late I ve having lots of green discharge from the nose, especially in the morning. Just the other day I need a Sinus irrigation with Saline solution and the 4 way nasal spray, also did the valsalva maneuver while the solution was in my nose and sinus cavities to get the solution into my Eustachian Tubes, and was successful in doing so. This did help with the ear fullness, but I could still feel there was something going on in my Eustachian Tubes. Is it possible that mucus has become trapped in the tubes, from a flu type cold/virus I had two years ago ?
Asked On : Fri, 20 Jan 2012