Do chewing nicotine gum would cause a nicotine test to be positive ?

Please can somebody tell me whether chewing nicotine gum would cause a nicotine test to be positive? I tested my partner and the test said that he was a medium to heavy smoker. He swears he has given up and blames the positive test result on chewing nicotine gum. I really need to find out if it does affect the test, or if he is just trying to cover up that he still smokes. It is extremely important that he does not smoke as he has had a collapsed lung. He promised me he would give up as he cared so much for me and his 3 daughters. Please help, I need to know if he has lied to us, thank you. He was so aggro when I asked him to do the test. I don't believe he's stopped. Why can't he grow up, he's 27 with 3 beautiful daughters. Why does he chose drugs and smoking over them? It's not fair on us, we don't want to watch him die. I think I'm just gonna tell him to get on with it and do whatever he wants but to take out life insurance first. The thing that got me was when he said he started smoking halfway through my pregnancy as I was "difficult" to live with!!! I had a very complicated and stressful pregnancy so he starts smoking! Makes sense!!! Our 3rd daughter is now 13 weeks old. I can't believe what he's putting us through, he's so selfish.
Asked On : Fri, 18 Dec 2009