Do I require surgery to treat damaged L4 and L5 regions in the spine ?

Hello Doctor, I am 30 years male. I am an active runner and have participated in many long distance and Half Marathon runs. I discontinued by regular runs due to work pressure. From the past one month I am having back pain and had to undergo an MRI to figure out the exact cause. The MRI results showed that I have damaged L4 and L5 regions. Please read the IMPRESSION of the MRI report. Diffuse annular disc bulge with left paracentral disc extrusion at L4 L5 level causing significant impression. Left half of thecal sac and left lateral recess nerve roots and compromising left neural foramen. Diffuse annular disc bulge at L2-3 level causing mild impression of thecal sac. Sacralisation of L5 vertebra. I had sevre numbess on my left feet and my left toe was week. In the last 10 days the there is no numbess. But the back pain still continues. Do I require a surgery? I need to know how long will I take to heal 100%. Once I regain my fitness can I continue my running. Thanks & Regards
Asked On : Tue, 1 May 2012