Do I need to start taking vitamins ?

I will be making 31 in a couple of days, do i need to start taking vitamins and if so what kind
Asked On : Tue, 6 Apr 2010
  Anonymous's Response

No you need not start taking any supplements unless you have a reason to do so. Age is not an indication to start supplements.

General & Family Physician Dr. Anirban Chatterjee's  Response
Hi, welcome to HCM. In your query you have not mentioned the occupation you are currently in, or whether you have any family history of hypertension , diabetes , thyroid . There is no reason to start on any vitamin or supplements at the age of 31 years. Just make sure that you remain on a balanced diet , restrict alcohol and smoking , put in a bit of daily physical exercise as your schedule permits and drink plenty of water. These simple things will go a long way in ensuring a good health .

there is no need to take vitamins as you are becoming 31yrs.If you have any vitamin deficiency only you need to take.Other wise if you take vitamins unnecessarily,it can lead complications and side effects. But have regular blood check up.
take care
Pulmonologist Dr. Akashdeep Singh's  Response
Unless there is documented specific vitamin deficiency there is no evidence vitamin supplements do us any good, and they may even be do harm to us.One of the recent review, involving 232,000 participants, compared those taking the supplements with those who took a placebo or received no treatment. The supplements studied were beta-carotene (a precursor of vitamin A that is converted into the vitamin in the body), vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin E and selenium. The study didn’t favour the routine supplement of such vitamin supplements at any age group.

Welcome to HCM,
There is no need to take Vitamin supplement as long as you feel hale & hearty. If you are maintaining a healthy life style with balanced diet, then there is no need as advancing age is not a criteria for vitamin supplement.
Bye Take care.