Distressed due to mental illness after death in family. How to treat someone who refuses doctor visits?

hi,doctor, I am in distress.I am in great trouble.I required your kind help. My mother is suffering from mental disorder .In my childhood she started suffering this kind of problem when my elder sister died.I am now 30 yrs old.Still she is continuing this.But before her used to rel ups after a long gap.but after my marriage the gapping became very short.But the real problem is that I cant take her to any doctor,she will not move.So I am very puzzled taking my mothers problem,I cant see my mother dying in this way neither I can do anything for her. Plz help me out of tnis situation.She is deteriorating day by day.Plz take this matter seriously and reply.
Asked On : Wed, 4 Jul 2012
Thank you for writing to us.

I have read about your problem but found it difficult to diagnose as you have not mentioned any symptoms. I'm not saying that she doesn't need help, she does but without making appropriate diagnosis / talking to the patient or talking to the caregiver, it is difficult to prescribe her anything correct.

In my practice I have seen such patients by making a home visit, where one can see the patient's actual condition and prescribe the correct medicine.
Psychiatric diagnosis are made of cluster of symptoms put together. Many symptoms are similar in several conditions. So it becomes difficult to diagnose without good history.

What I would do if facing your situation is -
1. either I' d take my mother forcefully once to a psychiatrist OR
2. bring home a psychiatrist to interview her OR
3. may be talk in detail by making a visit to a psychiatrist my self

The condition you are in is not uncommon in our branch and psychiatrists do understand this.

Please don't loose hope and take any action as stated above, it will surely help your mother. Right medicine puts controls the illness and pt. shows desired response in few weeks only.

hope this reply will help you, feel free to ask further.
Dr. Manisha Gopal