Dislocation of knee on sitting, stretching, popping back on standing. Cause?

Hi, I think I dislocated my left knee while dancing the other day but it popped back into place as soon as i stood up. It hurt for a few days and it was swollen but it got better and I thought it was fine but its been a week and whenever i want to stretch whenever i sit on my legs, my knee feels like its going to dislocate pop out of place. I didn t visit a doctor because well, it popped back into the place, and the swelling went down with an ice pack .
Asked On : Tue, 24 Apr 2012
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
It is not knee dislocation as it is very uncommon and can occur with very serious injury and not with such trivial injury like twisting. I would recommend you to apply ice, take rest and avoid any jumping or sporting activity for sometime. If again you feel pain then it will be better to get MRI of the knee to see if there is any meniscus injury or any other ligament issue. You can apply ice and also compression bandage.