Dislocated finger, swollen, tender to touch. What can be done?

I dislocated my right pinky finger 4 1/2 weeks ago jumping a horse. A friend of mine pulled it into place but it kept dislocating every time I would accidentally bent the finger for about the first 2 hours after the injury. It dislocated a total of 5 times. I thought after all this time it would have healed but it is still very bruised and the middle knuckle is still fairly swollen and enlarged. It s very tender to being bumped. Every once in a while it will crunch . If I push down in the top of the finger it is very painful. When it gets bumped the pain feels like a burning sensation. I can bend it so it will touch my palm of my hand but it is painful and I can not completely straighten it. I didn t go to see a dr for this injury mostly because I do not have health insurance but since it hasn t healed yet is it too late to have it seen and what can be done for it?
Asked On : Sat, 15 Sep 2012
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Feb 2014
Hello Calleana,

Thanks for posting your query

You dislocated your right finger 4 1/2 weeks . If after reduction of dislocation proper immobilization is not given to heal the ligaments around it, then this might be the cause of your recurrent dislocation of finger.

So you have to visit an orthopaedic surgeon for exam. & treatment plan acc. to that.