Discomfort near metatarsal while walking. Sudden pain and inability to walk. Serious?

i was totally normal when i went to the university. when i was on my way back abd climbing down the stairs i felt sudden discomfort near the edge of the 5th metatarsal on the lateral side which gradually increased and i couldnt walk properly. Now i really am struggling with it and i feel sharp pain when i step on the ground with all part of my foot touching the ground. I don t feel discomfort if the metatarsal region doesn t touch the ground when i am walking with only the heels touching the ground. What is the problem??? Please help.
Asked On : Thu, 26 Apr 2012