Discomfort in the throat. Could this be due to allergy? Pain while swallowing

Hi, I've been encountering extreme discomfort in the upper back portion of my throat (what I'm assuming is the soft palate) ever since my seasonal allergies kicked in. Specifically, I noticed this discomfort immediately upon waking Friday morning. My guess is that it's a case of postnasal drip settling in the back of my throat while I sleep, and becoming thick from forced mouth breathing overnight, irritating the palate. Also, with this discomfort, I feel that when I swallow (which hurts), I can't quite do it. I feel like I need to strain to make it happen. So I need a suggestion to A.) clear up my nostrils and stop the postnasal drip and B.) relieve my discomfort. Thanks.
Asked On : Thu, 2 May 2013