Discomfort in chest and throat. Coughing. Lung x-ray normal. Former smoker

I am 64 year old female. Sometimes when I lie on my side (either) side I wake up with great discomfort in my upper chest and throat .. It is relieved after a few minutes by coughing and lying on my back. The feeling in my chest is as if my lung collapsed and one side is scraping against the other which feels horrible up through my throat. I am a former smoker, quit in 1999. Get a bad long-lasting cough from colds but xray of lungs showed nothing to worry about. Had stress test that showed no problem. Problem doesn t occur every time I lie on side but maybe once a week or so.
Asked On : Wed, 2 Jan 2013