Discoloring of urine when water intake is less with white stringy discharge. What could be the problem?

hello, last week my urine was tea colored with darker color sinking to the bottom and the rest of the water a dark gold (after the brown sinking). that was the only time. then this morning i noticed there was a long white stringy discharge with a bit of cloudiness...then it was golden yellow (lightening up-been drinking water). i usually drink a gallon of water a day, but the day it was brown...i didn t drink much (no time). i have no insurance and i have anxiety i am a bit this normal or should i be concerned? the dark tea colored happened only once that i am aware of...never came back. my urine is usually clear to light yellow...but i usually drink more water. i have been drinking less because people are telling me i am drinking too much water, but i have been drinking a gallon to a gallon and a half every day for over 20 years.
Asked On : Sun, 24 Feb 2013
Pathologist and Microbiologist 's  Response
hi there, drinking plenty of water has never hurt anybody expect when the doctor has asked you to restrict your water intake. The dark colour of urine could be due to high concentration or could be due to passage of pigments, blood or other sediments depending on your history of medication or any other preexisting health condition,.my suggestion would be to continue taking plenty of fluids and get a urine routine exam with a microscopy and if required urine cytology to look for any other cause. You will need to be examined by a physician to rule out any systemic cause of this problem. Take care.