Discoloration on leg at the site of tibia and fibula break, extreme itchiness and rash. No improvement with treatment. Suggestive remedy?

my mother broke both her tibia and fibula approx ten months ago.since the injury she has developed a discolouration on her leg at the area of the break which is extremely itchy in nature and is continually breaking down.The rash has since progressed to the rest of her body and is showing as multyple lesions all over her limbs and torso which are of a similar appearance to the rash on her leg,These also are proving to be extremely itchy.She has been seen by her G.P who has recommended emolient cream and pressure dressings/stockings,and suggested that it may be varical dermititis(?) but it has not improved at all with the said treatment.At no time has she had any blood tests or further tests done.Should I be concerned/ ask for a second opinion?
Asked On : Fri, 11 Jan 2013