Discharge from ear since childhood. Having sand in ear after slipping into lake. No help with eardrops, medicines. Suggestions?

Hi Doctor , My name is Shashi and i have certain queries related my ear. Some kind of push comes out of my ear and its a very old, i mean its from ma childhood. whenever i took some medicine it becomes okay but during winter it occurs again. but the problem is that some days back i slipped into the lake and managed to get o of that but during that time i got lot of sand in my ear and that it even the tablets and ear drops not working out... so please please advice me what to do now coz i am having jobs and all and i am in lot of trouble due to this.. i shall be grateful to you for this kindness.. Thanking you.
Asked On : Mon, 3 Dec 2012
ENT Specialist 's  Response
Aug 2013
Hello sashi and welcome to Health care magic,

I am Dr Sriram Nathan , an ENT surgeon and I will try to help you out with your problem.

By your complaints it is understood that you have a hole in your ear drum and thats why you have pus discharge though it can be confirmed only by ENT examination.

If the hole and discharge is beyond three months then it is very unlikely to heal by itself. You need to take the complete course of antibiotic and also listen to the ENT doctors instructions such as keeping the ear clean and dry and not allowing any water to enter the ear to ensure that the ear hole heals.

A wait and watch period of three months is usual as i mentioned earlier so till then you need to wait. Take also a course of anti histamine like levocetrizine in consultation with your doctor.

If the hole does not heal then you can go for a simple surgery called the tympanoplasty and close the hole. Before that you need to get a full audiological evaluation such as audimetry, CT of the temporal bone and get back to me or any ENT with the reports.

take care and get well soon

Dr Sriram Nathan