Discharge after getting the ear pierced. Bump behind the ear. Should I let the hole close?

Hi, i recently got my second piercing like a couple months ago . my right ear got infected , i felt a big bump on the back of my right ear so i took the earing out . liquidy stuff cane out as well as a little bit of blood , so i took the earing out and it kinda went away but i have a little bump on the back of my piercing hole . how do i get ride of it? and should i let the hole close ? please help
Asked On : Mon, 4 Feb 2013

Welcome to HCM. Your ear is infected due to sensitivity to metals. Let the ear heal first, the liquid stuff that you have mentioned is "pus" draining out due to infection. You should wipe out the blood and pus with a clean cotton and apply mild ointment like Neosporin locally. The ears should get better, if you have problem still, you can get your ears clinically examined you may need some oral antibiotics.

Do not neglect as untreated pierced ears may later present with scars, keloids, blood borne diseases or tetanus. While getting piercings done you should confirm that the metal ( hypoallergenic metal should be used ) being used is suitable for your ears. It should be properly sterilized.

Take vitamin C and multivitamins for faster healing. Avoid taking showers, take bath if you have sensitive skin. Do not fiddle with your ears. Take care.