Thank you for posting your query.
It is clear that your symptoms (pain and toe weakness) are due to disc prolapse
at L4-5 level.
Both epidural injections as well as surgery are good options. However, the decision depends on the degree of disc prolapse and patient's symptoms.
I know your doctor is the best judge, as they have examined you, but I would feel that surgery may be delayed by a few weeks, and injection given a chance first, as it is simpler and less invasive.
Please get back if you require any additional information.
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology)
Senior Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad,
My personal URL on this website: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar
My email: email@example.com