Difficulty in walking, no visible bruising, swelling post accidental drop of trailer on foot. Bone bruising or fracture?

Yesterday morning (by accident, obviously) i set/dropped the tongue of a trailer down on the top of my foot (just below the ankle area). It hurt for a few minutes, but i was able to walk it off and go about my day. But by night time it was starting to hurt, and became hot to the touch, as well. Eventually it got to the point that i couldn t walk on it, move it, or touch it.. I m not a hospital person, but i was very tempted to go! Unfortunately, i live 40minutes from the nearest hospital, so instead i took 2 rapid-release Tylenol , and laid in bed. The tylenol seemed to help, as i was able to fall asleep eventually. This morning its not too bad. I can walk, but have to watch how i step. I have stayed pretty still today so far, so its still ok, but i don t know how much i should be walking on it, or if walking will bring the pain back. There is no visible bruising, or swelling . Could the bone be bruised, or possibly have a fracture somewhere? Will the pain come & go depending on if its been rested or worked? If the dr is only going to offer me pain killers, i would avoid going. However i am slightly concerned about it, and wonder if it should be x-rayed?
Asked On : Tue, 8 Jan 2013