Difficulty in walking due to loss of balance. Reason?

A good friend is having trouble walking. Her legs give out and she falls. Her bum feels very heavy when that happens. It takes a while before she is in control of her body to get up after a fall. Today she was walking her dog and walked out onto the street, she was unable to control her walking direction. This is increasing and has been happening on and half for about a year.
Asked On : Sun, 2 Dec 2012
Thank you for posting your question here, I will try to answer it to the best of my abilities.

The body maintains its balance through a series of canals present in the ears, so if your friend is having trouble maintaining her balance, her ears are the first thing I would have checked. As such take her to an ENT specialist.
My next suspicion would be that the problem is neurological and there is a problem in her nerves. To confirm that she would need to see a neurologist.
But get her to an ENT specialist first, since it is most likely caused by a problem in her ears.

I hope this helped.