Difficulty in urination after colonoscopy. Enlarged prostrate. What care to be taken before the surgery?

My father had a colonoscopy last Wed AM, went home rather quickly but the only complication seems he cannot pee. the next day he went to the ER and they put in a catherer. came back the next morning to take it out, but could not pee during the day, they went back to the ER put another catherer (after having a very hard time at dr office due to enlarged prostate , therefore the ER after that again). This morning my father removed (or it fell of, how no clue) and according to him he was able to pee. Now in the PM he cannot so he is being taken back to the ER. I am wondering what needs to happen before surgery comes into place. I am out of town and want to fly there if surgery is needed. Please let me know
Asked On : Wed, 3 Apr 2013