Difficulty in smelling, loss of taste for few minutes, smell and taste of blood on blowing the nose. Cause?

hi, i am having trouble smelling or tasting at all. when i blow my nose , sometimes the smell comes back for a breief few seconds then disappear again. i also sometimes smell and taste a faint odor of blood whenever i blow my nose or sniff hard. once in awhile, which is rare, the smell comes back on its own but goes away after a short time
Asked On : Wed, 11 Apr 2012
Thanks for writing in.
An altered sense of taste and smell commonly occurs when there is a block/infection/inflammation in the ear, nose or throat. Uncommonly, it is seen in tumours of the brain. In addition some psychiatric disorders can also cause these symptoms. I would suggest you take steam inhalation twice to thrice a day so that any block in the ear, nose or throat can be take care of.
If there is no relief, please see a physician for an evaluation so that a proper history can be taken and a psychiatric condition can be ruled out.
Hope this helps.