Difficulty in lying on bed, severe stabbing, crippling and burning pain around core, back, sides and front. Relief on sitting, had done lots of skipping. What can be done?

Hi My step mum is a very active, healthy 67 year old. She walks a lot. she at the weekend, could not lie down in bed (or anywhere) with out a severe, crippling stabbing pain, firing around her core, back, side and front. Her only comfort is to sit or sleep in an arm chair. She said that she may have done it skipping a few days earlier. It has been a week and she is in alot of pain.
Asked On : Mon, 28 May 2012