Difficulty in breathing, standing, sharp pains. Got hit in back while playing. Is taking X ray recommended? Suggestions?

Hi Doctor,

My son was playing lacrosse last night and got hit in the back (not spine area, but back ribs) and has a hard time standing and breathing. He feels better lying down and his breathing is not as difficult. At times he experiences sharp pains as he breaths but not all the time. I assume it could be a deep bruise or a minor rib injury that needs rest. Should be take him for x-rays or wait and see?

Asked On : Mon, 29 Apr 2013