Difficulty in bowel movement. Is there anything other than miralax?

I abused laxatives for nearly 10 years. This past year I stopped as I realized that I may have disabled my colon. I went to a GI doctor and had a colonoscopy and was told that my colon was somewhat lazy however everything looked great. He recommended i use Miralax everyday as it is natural, non dependent forming, and can be taken forever. I am uncomfortable even taking this and have been trying to cut back on the amount. I started with 2 cap fulls and now I am taking 1.5 cap fulls each morning. I am struggling to have a bowel movement with the 1.5 cap fulls and it can take hours each morning of drinking lots of water and coffee. I am tired and want to know if it is possible to re-train my bowels or if there is anything else other than miralax to use. I feel like the GI doctor I went to didnt really understand how serious this is and felt everything looked fine but I know there is something seriously wrong with me.
Asked On : Fri, 8 Feb 2013