Difficulty in bending the left thumb, locks when straightened. What could be causing this?

I woke up with my left thumb straight, and couldn t bend it. When trying to bend it at the first joint close to the nail I have to actually force it to bend, then it locks & will not straighten out? I have pain & discomfort in this and will be going in for an x-ray , but what could be causing this? Also trying to bend it I also have noticed that when making it go straight that I have this clicking in the lower joint on both sides. Thank you I look forward to your help
Asked On : Sat, 2 Feb 2013