Difficulty falling asleep, eye pain. Feel tired, difficulty concentrating. Abdominal pain

hi im katrina im 21 and i have a sleep problem and im sick of it, it takes me a long time to get of to sleep and my eyes start wake up 3/4 hours later n try to go back to sleep and i cant my eyes will hurt more and my head...i feel exausted and so tiered everyday even if i do things like exercise n keep moving all day doing stuff doesnt help...i feel so weak and i get fustrated and angry i cant concentrate and every little thing fustrates me and stresses me out, i have pains in my adomen...not sure if that could be to do with it theres a lump that the hospital will check next week, but ive been suffering with sleep for so long :(
Asked On : Mon, 10 Dec 2012
Hello Katrina,
I understand that sleep disorders are really impairing and cause a lot of distress. Considering that you have other problems as well along with sleep disturbance, there is always a possibility that you could be suffering from a depressive episode as well. In that case unless your depression improves, there is a less chance that your sleep will improve. In case you are having depression, a course of antidepressants (SSRi etc.) along with Cognitive Behavioural Therapy will surely help you. Untill you visit a psychiatrist, try following some simple steps of sleep hygiene. You should stop or restrict your caffeine , tobacco and alcohol. Start some exercises and take a warm bath at night before sleep. Dont try too hard to go to sleep. In case you dont get sleep, instead of lying on bed and waiting, it is always wise to get off the bed, do some reading and wait untill you get some sleep. Watching TV at night is not a good idea. use of sleeping space exclusively for sleeping and not for any other work. keep the sleeping area, lit dimly.
I think you should be fine soon.