Diet for baby

Hi Doctor My baby is 18 month old now a days he is ot showing any interest in eating regular meals like rice or khicdi only thing he likes to eat is certain selected fruits , milk, coconut water and some times chapati or puri. He is taking vitcofol for increasing his hemglobin. Now a days feeding him some cereal is just like a battle for me . what to do?
Asked On : Mon, 26 Apr 2010
welcome to HCM...,
It is common question from most of the mothers..
who are facing difficult.....till now
1) In this age, children more active and begins to exert...
their independence.....interest more towards playing...
rather than eating.....,
2) So, don't force and compel .,otherwise it will influence ...
let them healthy food options...and choose what and...
how much they will eat....,
3) Introduce new and colorful foods alongwith their favorite.........
definitely they attract ...they will enjoy with food with playing mood..,
4) Recommend Fresh fruits cut into small pieces.....whole grain crackers..
which gives sounds while eating..,thinly cut cheese slices.., low sugar...
breakfast cereals...,so follow....and get good of luck
General & Family Physician Dr. P. Mahesh's  Response
Hi Shivani,

Welcome to HCM.

Never try to force feed your child. This will have directly the opposite effect of what you intend.

Give the child what the baby likes and what you can offer. The child has a natural inbuilt selection mode which is best for that child. Do not insist that the child should eat what you offer. Do offer regular food that you prepare for the house hold, and if the child refuses to eat it, do not force. If there is nothing else to offer, let the child go hungry. He will come back to you when he can no longer control his hunger and you can again offer the same kind of food and let him decide if he wants to eat it or not. Choice is his. Soon he will learn to respect food and you will never have to call him a second time for food.

Wish you all the best.

You have be very polite with your child. Don't rush in incorporating regular meals, you will end up only irritating the child.

Incorporate your regular meals in a slow process, like one spoon per meal, and slowly increase the frequency.

Make every meal a fun filled experience for the child, let the  enjoy eating.

Mix play and food together.