Did not get periods in the break from birth control, have tender breasts, negative pregnancy test. Could that be a pregnancy sign?

I am about to be 20 and I am two weeks late and recently ran out of my birth control . I thought you were suppose to get your period when that happens, but I did not. I normally get my period the first week of the month and this did not happen either. I am close to two weeks late and I took a pregnancy test that came back negative. The only symptoms I may have are tender breasts; could I be pregnant? Also when is the best time to take a pregnancy test?
Asked On : Fri, 21 Dec 2012