Did DRE. Found a small lump in the prostrate gland. Advised TRUS. No family history of cancer. Is TRUS needed?

My partner is about to undergo a TRUS prostrate biopsy recommended by a urologist due to locating a small pea sized lump on his prostrate gland after having a DRE (Digital Rectal Exam). His PSA level has not been highly elevated and the urologist has said he needs to have this procedure done. He is very anxious about it, as I am and querying is a TRUS biopsy really required. He is 54 with no family history of prostrate cancer or any other cancer and has nad no symptoms.
Asked On : Fri, 22 Mar 2013