Diarrhoea in children, bifilac safe to give ?

On 11th this month, my baby will complete his 5th month. For past 2 days, he is passing stools too many time. Say, if till day before yesterday he was passing stool with amount X once in a day...but since last 2 days he is passing it X/12 amount 12 times a day. Otherwise he looks healthy & plays all the time, takes sound sleep & so on.. Nothing looks wrong other than his stool problem. Should I see a doctor instantly OR can I try giving him BIFILAC for today & watch.
Asked On : Wed, 11 Apr 2012

Passing small amount of stool multiple times a day is commonly seen in children with weak gastroenteric reflex. There is nothing to be worried about. It is usually a self limiting problem. You can give him buttermilk and Bifilac for next 3-4 days and watch for its improvement.
In case the problem is persistent then consulting his pediatrician will be helpful.
I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you.

Dr. Rakhi Tayal