Diarrhea, nausea, allergic, ear infection, stomach flu. Suggest medication and cure?

My husband is 30 years old, no known allergies and eats a bland diet (meat & potatoes, literally) On sunday night he ate some chicken and fries from Long John Silver's and almost immediately he had diarrhea. This usually does not happen with him and Long John's, I think his stomach is immune to his greasy diet. Through the night he was up every hour to two hours with watery diarrhea. He stayed home monday and ate just popsicles and a lunchmeat ham sandwich. Monday night and tuesday morning was the same, so he stayed home again. Around 10:30am tuesday his torso, neck and face were completely red, itchy and covered in hives. We took him to the doctor who diagnosed him with a food allergy and prescribed a steroid shot, anti-diarrheal medication and an antihistamine. He has been taking all of those since tuesday afternoon. It is now wednesday afternoon and he is still dealing with the diarrhea and I am becoming nauseated and had a diarrhea once. I have seasonal allergies and a chronic inner ear infection, so my guess is that I am reacting to those. However, we were unsure if this is actually the stomach flu that is going around and if he should be taking the medication he is on if this really is not a food allergy.
Asked On : Sun, 28 Apr 2013