Diarrhea. Unable to have bowel movement? Why is it loose, watery and foul smelling?

My 3 year old (will be 4 in october) had some diarrhea Saturday night and into Sunday. No fever or anything just the diarrhea. About Sunday afternoon he was over it and acted fine. Tuesday afternoon around 1:00 he was crying and hollering his tummy hurt and he needed to go poop. He did not poop. He pooped earlier tuesday am twice and both were normal. So at 1 he starts crying his stomach hurt and needed to poop but didnt. Out of nowhere his temp was 103.3. For a minute he walked a little humped over but not entirely and it didnt last long. He has ran fever off and on since then ranging from yesterdays 101.4-103.5. He complains his stomach hurts bad. I have been alternating tylenol and motrin. This started tuesday. no vomiting whatsoever. As for diarrhea, he went once yesterday and it was like water. about 2 hours later he went just a little bit and it was more of a snotty, mucus looking stool. Last night he went and it was a minimal amount again snotty almost mucus like. Took him to doctor yesterday and she was afraid it may be his appendix, a tick related issue or a virus. His wbc was a little low she said. She advised us to watch him and if he worsened go to er for catscan of appendix. If not, see her again this am for a recheck. Today we went and she now thinks he may have salmonella . He does not appear to be sick enough to have food poisoning ,. I have always heard it is awful vomiting and diarrhea. Today he has gone once to the bathroom. It was again, loose, not watery and had the foulest smell and was snotty like mucus and as i was getting it in the viles for lab tests, i seen some almost lime green colored slimy stuff in it. He was born 5 weeks early and has issues with his immune system . dr called in zithromax for him if he didnt improve by tonight. any thoughts would be appreciated.
Asked On : Mon, 2 Jul 2012