Diagnosed with unilateral cataract. Suggested to wear patch. Does patching compromise sight in good eye?

At 12 weeks my granddaughter was diagnosed with a unilateral cataract and was scheduled for emergency surgery. Due to the positioning of the cataract (posterior) her doctors believe that the cataract developed after birth. She is now 15 weeks and wears a lens that is removed daily. Patching over the non operated eye began 10 days ago. As prescribed by her PO, she wears the patch most of her waking hours. She is most uncomfortable, fussy, or falls asleep when patched. Should I be concerned that the aggressive patching could compromise sight in her "good eye". I've read some doctors advise patching as much as possible, while others say a couple of hours a day is good enough and will accomplish the same objective of visual acuity. Any advice is appreciated? Thank you.
Asked On : Mon, 22 Apr 2013