Diagnosed with type 2 diabetic. Have Diarrhoea and sweet taste bud. Is this due to Metformin tablet?

I am 54 years old, I was diagnosed type 2 diabetic in April 2012 , I have been on 1000 mg Metformin twice a day. I have noticed a change in the smell of my stool which has a sweet smell, my stool are soft or I have Diarrhea almost every day for about 2 weeks now..... I am also getting a similar sweet taste in everything I eat and drink, it is so bad it has put me off eating, even though I still eat and drink. Could this change be down to the diabetes and/or the Metformin tablets.
Asked On : Tue, 1 Jan 2013