Diagnosed with strep throat. Took amoxicillin. Relapse treated with antibiotics. Need change in treatment?

I was diagnosed with strep throat about a month and a half ago (on May 15th to be exact). I was prescribed Amoxicillin 875mg twice a day for 10 days. I took it as directed until all pills were gone. Although the sore throat went away, I never felt totally back to normal - just very tired all the time with headaches almost constantly. Then, last week, my throat started to hurt again. I waited a few days but the pain became intense again over the weekend (no fever or rash; just sore throat, fatigue and headaches), so yesterday I went back to the doctor. The rapid strep test again came back positive and my doctor said it was possible the strep never went away the first time & prescribed another round of Amoxicillin - same dosage & length of time. He gave me the option to try Azithromycin instead, but I don t have health insurance and the two office visits have already been more than I can afford, so I went with the Amoxicillin since my local pharmacy offers it for free. My doctor said that the Amoxicillin should take care of it, but I started reading more about it when I got home and now I am worried that it may still not take care of the strep and I may be causing more damage. What is your advice?
Asked On : Sat, 7 Jul 2012