Diagnosed with severe anemia. On ferron tablets. Family history of anemia. Is desiccated liver pill useful?

I have been diagnosed by my doctor as having severe anemia. One iron tablet, ferron, 27 mg made me deathly ill and apparently I can't tolerate that. I recall my mother taking desiccated liver pills years ago since she was prone to anemia. I mentioned this to my dr. and he shook his head "no" but I got the feeling he wasn't familar with it. He told me to take prenatal vitamins and suggested liquid iron. I am wondering if the desiccated liver pills would be beneficial to me or likely to cause a severe reaction. I am 66 yrs of age, take a daily vitamin regimen, but no iron. My diet has suffered lately but am trying to rectify that. What are your thoughts? Thank you. Karen
Asked On : Thu, 11 Apr 2013