One thing I would like to know will be when the blood test
for Dengue was done?
Dengue is a viral infection and as with many viral infections, there is no specific treatment available for it. Body has to fight the infection and get rid of it.
Points to keep in mind:
1. Ensure enough fluid intake atleast 1500 ml for child of his age
2. For fever - He can take 500 mg Paracetamol
3-4 times/day. If fever doesn't settle with this, further antifever medicines like Mefanamic acid can be tried
3. During Dengue, some patients develop swelling of face/tummy/legs etc and may have low Blood pressure. In this situation, he needs to be seen by a Pediatrician
and will need to be hospitalized for closer monitoring and treatment
4. He has stomachache, could be related to gastritis
. So avoid spicy foods. Your doctor can prescribe antacid treatment to help relieve gastritis.
5. Antibiotics are generally avoided unless the doctor strongly feels that there is associated bacterial infection.
I hope I've been able to answer most of your questions.
Dr Tejas Shah
Pediatric Intensivist (Critical care Specialist